Hepatitis C is a serious lifelong infection that can lead to liver disease, organ failure and premature death. There is no vaccine yet.
Why Should You Be Concerned About Hepatitis C?
- 2 out of 3 people who contract Hepatitis C have no symptoms in the early stages, making Hepatitis C virtually undetectable unless tested.
- There are approximately 5 million people in the United States who are chronic carriers of the Hepatitis C virus.
- There are an estimated 70,000 South Carolinians with chronic Hepatitis C.
- Most people with Hepatitis C do not know that they are infected.
- Hepatitis C is the most common cause of chronic liver disease.
Sponsored by: South Carolina Department of Health & Environmental Control, South Carolina Division of Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Services, Schering Hepatitis Innovations, Roche Pharmaceuticals